Home
Location
Fares
Contacts & Membership
Opening Times
Locomotives Steam
Locomotives Non Steam
Minature Railway
Passenger Cars
Rolling Stock
Stationary Boiler Display
Track Works
Station Buildings
Needs & Surplus Stock
Special Events
Links
Members Newsletters
 

See also: Ken McCarthy Museum Building

Yallah Station Building

Yallah Station was situated between Dapto and Albion Park on the main Illawarra Railway Line, and was opened in June 1890. It was in service for 84 years and was closed to traffic on the 19th October 1974.

The history of Yallah is that a limited service was provided via a contractor on the 21st June 1887, south of Wollongong to the Marshall Mount Platform for Queen Victoria’s "Golden Jubilee Day” traffic. Marshall Mount Platform is thought to have occupied the position of the later Yallah Station.

In 1976 the ILRMS purchased the building for $20.00 from the NSW Public Transport Commission. On 8th May 1976 the Yallah Station building was delivered to our Albion Park museum site and restoration works took place so that the building could be used as our main station building and booking office.

In March 2007, our Society received a NSW Government Grant for new restoration work to the building, as it was starting to suffer dry rot and termite related problems that were in need of attention. This work ensures that Yallah Station will go on into the future, for future generations to enjoy.

Yallah Station has now been restored and re-opened in October 2007. The waiting room has new seating, allowing it resume duty as a traditional waiting room with memorabilia on display. Tickets for all of our rides can be purchased from the ticket office window at Yallah Station.

Otford Signal Box

Otford Signal Box was first commissioned on the 30th of May 1915 and was in service until its closure on the 14th of April 1985. This was due to the electrification of the Illawarra line between Waterfall and Port Kembla. The signalling operation was transferred to a local control panel at Helensburgh and some time later to remote control operation at the Wollongong Control Centre.

The ILRMS purchased the redundant building from the State Rail Authority in 1985 complete with lever frame and other historical items. It arrived at the Albion Park in late December 1985. Throughout 2006/2007, Otford Signal Box has gone through restoration works made possible thanks to the Oak Flats Bendigo Community Bank.

"Tramway Dining Car" - Canteen & Souvenir Shop

This ex-NSWGR Passenger Car, car number LFA 449, is our Canteen and Souvenir shop and has been at our museum for many years. Throughout 2011 the car saw renovation work including new roofing, new windows and security screens, and internal and external repainting and signwriting. This project was funded by the Oak Flats Branch of the Bendigo Community Bank.

Further works that were funded under a NSW government Grant in 2012 and completed in 2014 have seen a new modern kitchen installed and further upgrading to the car in general.

Fettler's Shed

As part of the historical experience at the ILRMS, sees a replica NSWGR fettlers shed next to Otford Signal Box. The fettlers shed houses historic track work items including the Lloyd Harnet Motor trike that was constructed by the ILRMS and was used on the former BHP Corrimal Colliery reclamation in in the early 1970’s.The fettlers shed was based on a former NSWGR shed that was used by the fettling gangs.

See also: Ken McCarthy Museum Building

 

© Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society Ltd 2007 - Site By QuikDesign